Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Late night cereal run

So in my last post I shared how I've become a huge fan of couponing. Well, I just HAVE to share the details of my late night cereal run yesterday and the deals I snagged with some coupons and good old fashioned bargain hunting!

My original trip to our local Country Mart grocery store was for the purpose of buying a new toothbrush for Brannon. "Babe," he said to me yesterday, "I need a new toothbrush. The cats dragged mine all around the house, and at one point, I found it behind the toilet." So I made a merry little trip to Country Mart last night to grab a new toothbrush, and when I walked through the doors, the "reduced for quick sale" buggy, filled with discounted items, caught my eye. I perused through the pile of dented cereal boxes and other barely damaged items and found two boxes of Kashi cereal, each on sale for $1.00. I also made a trip down the actual cereal aisle to see if anything else good was on sale. There I discovered that Cheerios were on sale for $0.99! I bought the toothbrush, ran home, grabbed some coupons (that I now have apparently memorized) and ran back to the store. Here are the coupons I used:
  • $1.50 off coupon, when you purchase two boxes of Kashi cereal

  • $0.55 off any Cheerios brand cereal

To sum it all up, I left with three boxes of cereal, having spent $0.25 for each box of Kashi cereal and only $0.44 for the Cheerios (which is big enough to be two boxes of cereal, by the way!). My apologies if I'm stretching out something really simple because of my excitement... but I was so stinkin' excited! I love saving money! (Especially on cereal -- which is its own food group, in my opinion!)

Total spent: $1.10

Total savings: $5.45

Woooo hoooo! :)

1 comment:

Hillary said...

You go, girl! Don't you just feel like singing when you get a good deal? Last week my bill at the grocery store was $158 and after coupons it was $108!!!! $50 in savings. My favorite deal was the formula I got. (Sometimes Dave gives Sammy a bottle). Original price was $15. I used a $5 coupon sent from Similac in the mail, a $3 coupon from the grocery store (baby club), and $3 coupon from a competitor for a total spent $4! What a deal. And a couple of weeks ago I got diapers at Walgreens for $2.50 a pack! Is the website helping you with your deals? I hope so!